11/29/2009

2 More Weeks!

Time is getting shorter, as are the days.  I have performed three mini-recitals in the last week, made several promotional appearances at different meetings and organizations, shot a cable TV "freemercial", passed out my flyers at various concerts and halls and continue to sing and memorize daily.  I've never tackled anything musical from this many sides before (most of which are non-musical sides).  I have a new appreciation for what goes on behind the scenes of recitals and concerts.  Usually I'm asked to sing, I show up to rehearsals and the performance, collect my fee and go home.  NOT SO THIS TIME.  


As a performing artist, I am constantly faced with programming conflicts.  Often, what I'm asked to sing by directors or producers is not what I want to sing, and the public may want to hear something completely different.  How do we make our selections?  While programming my  recital, I'm constantly faced with what I want to sing and what the audience wants to hear.  Who should have priority?  "Well, the audience, of course", you might say.  I'll agree that your half right.  "Know your audience" is a mantra that goes way back, and for the most part, I agree.  But, as professional artists, we also have an obligation to take our listeners on a journey to places they've never before ventured, to expand their horizons.  It's difficult to do that while singing all tried-and-true standards.  On the other hand, leave out any familiar tunes, and the audience may become lost and alienated altogether.  Balance is the answer, I suppose(Master Yoda would be proud).   

No comments: