9/06/2007

Luciano Pavarotti, 1935-2007












The world lost one of it's brightest, longest burning stars today. Luciano Pavarotti, tenor, died of a year-long battle with cancer.

This is a particularly sad day for me. I have admired him for so long. Listening to his rendition of "Nessum dorma" frequently brought a tear to my eye. No one packed more passion into his voice, or sang with more joy than Pavarotti. He was often derided by critics for being too popular(being a struggling singer, frankly, I could do with more of that.). He, however, won more fans to opera than any singer ever. His voice was a bridge to a world many never may have entered, had it not been for the soothing, vibrant, exciting voice of Pavarotti.

I don't remember when or where I was when I first heard him sing. It seems that it coincided with me "discovering" opera when I was in college. I remember recording "Nessum Dorma" on my answering machine. I remember fellow baritone and good friend Scott Langdon and I sitting around listening to him, either at home or in the car. We were in heaven. It was like discovering chocolate for the first time. Chocolate for the ears. Ear Candy. No one sang like him.

I will miss him.

No comments: